
Today, August 11, 2011, Sergeant Daniel Gurr, USMC, was brought home to his final rest in Vernal, UT. I was privileged to ride my motorcycle in the Honor Guard for the motorcade transporting his body from the airport to the mortuary.
This may not seem such a remarkable thing… unless you have never witnessed how small town America honors her fallen heroes. I did not know Sgt Gurr. He was 21 years old; younger than my youngest child. He died in combat wearing his country’s military service uniform. Perhaps that is all I need to know about him. The headlines in yesterday’s local paper read, “Mother is proud of son’s sacrifice”. Based on what I saw today, she isn’t the only one. The route was lined with townspeople, young and old to honor this young Marine. look here I saw old war veterans and young uniform clad boy scouts salute his passing. I saw families gathered together in front of their homes with hands over their hearts and waving the American Flag; there were tears and hand written signs of gratitude. This was an entire community bonded together by the sacrifice of one young man. No flags were burnt. No protests staged; just simple people expressing appreciation for a young man’s ultimate sacrifice for them, his comrades and his country.
I go about my life it seems, just one day at a time. Nothing extraordinary ever happens. But today was extraordinary for me. God bless Sgt Gurr and the loved ones he left behind and God bless America – home of the brave.
Regards,
Reed R. Critchfield
No comments:
Post a Comment