Ok so it wasn't a Broadway musical but it was about our ancestors so I had to go. Back up I found out a few weeks ago that there was a play at the conference center in SLC that was about our family who came across the plains in the Willie handcart company. Their names are Thomas and Ann Collett Oakey. She is my 4th great aunt on my Grandpa Howard's side of the family. She and her brother Daniel were the only children in their family. In the play they read a letter from Daniel to Ann asking them to come to American using the Perpetual Emigration Fund set up by the church. So they did and were in the Willie Company. Most of you know the story but they were at deaths door when they were rescued in November of 1856.
They asked all the people there to stand if they were related and Raquel and I were able to stand with the rest and I have to say I felt some pride in doing that. Here is a picture of Connie my dear friend and Raquel's mother in law. She came with us and her and I are ALWAYS freezing so here we are sharing her scarf she brought with her. Isn't she a doll and a real sport to stay the whole time? Matt leans over at the intermission and asked who wanted to go home. She stayed. Thank you!
I learned a lot and am very glad I did it. Thanks Matt, Raquel and Connie.
1 comment:
Well, at least I can post on your blog and say thanks for a fun night! Thank goodness for scarves! XO
Post a Comment