Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Making a move a vacation!

We decided that we needed to make this fun for the family. Hampton Inn was our choice of Hotels and we were not disappointed with them. Caroline's favorite ride each morning. She was really good considering how much driving and getting in and out we did.

 Here is my driver and what a good one he was! We made it to Hillsdale Michigan last night at about 9 pm. Once again we had a hotel. Not as good as the Hampton but doable. 

We had Caroline with is all the way. She was a great traveler, no crying or fussing. She was perfect. She did a lot of sleeping, reading, and Watching Elmo.......
 Mickey and Mini are her favorites.
 We followed Matt all the way and on Sunday he took us on a WONDERFUL detour. We were very excited that we ended up in Kirtland Ohio. 
 We took a tour of the Kirtland Temple. It was so sweet. We had a great guide who was sweet. 
 Kirtland Temple in Kirtland Ohio!
 The grounds were very nice!
 Father and daughter Mr H in the pack!
 Miss C keep holding on to my leg! 
 She loved running around outside.
 Smelling the flowers!
 It cost $3 dollars a person to tour the Temple and I wondered who would pay this money except Mormons. yes Mormons there were, so we all took each others pictures. We met families from Utah. AZ.
 The Bells!
 The front of the Temple!
 We stopped at the Newel K Whitney Store in Kirtland. We didn't have time to do the whole tour (2 hours) so we took just the tour of the store. 
 When we went in the room that was the school of the prophets I felt peaceful. The sisters told us about the prophet receiving the revelation on the Word of Wisdom, D&C 89. Emma Smith was frustrated that every day after they were done she would have to clean up the tobacco chew off the floor. This is didn’t seem right so she asked Joseph to ask the Lord if there was a better way. He was then inspired and wrote what we use today as the Word of Wisdom. It is our code of health and wealth that we as Mormons live by. When he presented it to the group the next day they ALL put it away and NEVER smoked or chewed again. Sister Downard looked and me and asked me to read the testimony of John Murdock who was one of the men in the room that day. I had tears already in my eyes but I did read it and I felt the spirit. I told them that I had a grandfather who set in that room many times. He was a missionary and had many church callings that he was instructed on or about in that very room.  After we were done we went outside and Sister Downard asked me who was my grandfather and I told her his name was Levi Ward Hancock. She was amazed as she told me he was the hired hand that Newel K. Whitney had hired to build the rooms in the upper part of the store where Emma and Joseph lived for 6 months. These are the rooms below. It was a wonderful day.
Thank you Matt for taking me, us there. I love you!

 This bedroom is where Emma and Joseph Smith lived for 6 months. Emma had Joseph Smith the 3rd here  in this room.
 This is the greeting room, dinning room and Joseph's Office. He wrote D&C 84-98 in this room.
Here is where they had their kitchen and family room. Emma used this kitchen  for her personal family and to cook for the workers who built the Temple.  

2 comments:

Mama Bell said...

Thanks for the update! I know you guys are working your guts out to help get everyone situated! Glad you got to go to Kirtland. What a treat.

crush said...

What an awesome story! I love that you are keeping us all updated! So glad you to to visit Kirtland. I have never been, but hope to go someday! XOXO