Saturday, December 1, 2012

Angel Tree-Tender Mercy!

My friend Mariann called me a month ago and asked me if I thought Josh and Kristen needed any financial help with Christmas. I told her yes they did need some help but not with Christmas. Their insurance has changed and their costs have changed substantially. I wasn't sure Kristen would except it but I told her lets do it. So her office and her husbands oil business paid for the cost of the tree and all its decor. Mariann named the tree "How Great Thou Art". What a labor of Love it is to do a tree for our annually Trees for Charity. Our community always supports this event  and raises a lot of money for their favorite Charity's. When their is a family charity tree they normally don't make much money but anything is better then nothing. 
Mariann hoped for $3000. I have posted her story below of how the evening went. 


Mariann wrote the message below. Thank you sister 
This beautiful 7 & 1/2 pine tree is done in sparkly reds and bright greens. You will feel the magic and joy of Christmas. But as you look into its branches, you will see its true meaning. A nativity lies in the center of the tree surrounded by verses printed on transparent velum of the hymn "How Great Thou Art". Through pain & hardship, great blessings are received. Our Lord & Savior is King.
They started the bidding....tree after tree.....ours was #21.  They came to our tree, the announcer gave a little description of the tree and our charity. Then the bidding started...
....I felt like I was in a dream...bid after bid.....it was all happening so fast.....it was so amazing! When it ended and the final bid came in at $10,500.00....my heart was beating out of my chest. Rick had bought the tree! Then
Cynthia walked over and whispered in my ear....Rick's donating it back so it can be bid on again. Once again, bid after bid....Travis and Alicia White took it at $7,000.00. I just bowed my head and started to cry. I couldn't believe it.
It was really beautiful, but, there was a spirit surrounding it. I wish I could explain it. The tree was beautiful, but that's not what sold it...it was the spirit that surrounded it and Josh & Kristen's picture. I am in awe at the generosity that was there that night.


2 comments:

Mama Bell said...

Thanks for sharing, Colette! Wow! Beautiful story. So glad there are such generous, loving people in this world. You are one of them! Love ya, woman!

Hope said...

Mom was just telling me about this today. I couldn't help but think what a blessing it was that if Josh and Kristen must experience this trial, it can be in a community like Vernal. I am so grateful for Mariann's giving heart that had the idea in the first place and for those that bid on the tree.