A few weeks ago a sister called me and asked if I could speak at their ward girls camp. It was at Brownie Lake by Flaming Gorge. It was about a hour and half from our home in Vernal. Mark took me there and on our way I saw the fence that my great grandfather built when he was the Forest Service Ranger. He was the only Ranger from Manila to White Rocks Canyon. He rode a horse most of his career. The pictures below shows the fence he built in the 1930's.
They lived in Manila for three years when George was transferred to the Elk Horn Ranger Station at Farm Creek, north of White Rocks. They sold their home in Davis for $600 and bought a brand new 1923 Model T Ford. They had the only car at Farm Creek and had the only hand cranked telephone at the ranger station.
George covered a large section of Ashley National Forest by himself. He checked to make sure the sheep men stayed on their allotments, checking on the cutting of timber and clearing the horse trails. North of Chepeta Lake tucked up under the cliff lies Walkup Lake, named in his honor. He was loved by many and a very good and fair man.
In 1954 he retired to a farm south of Elk Horn to his beloved Farm Creek. In 1972 he was deer hunting with his family when the truck became stuck. Trying to help, when the truck rolled backwards he was struck and killed. I remember when my mom came to school to get me and we headed to Vernal, Utah. We lived in New Mexico.
This fence is all over the forest by Flaming Gorge.
Mark was my chauffeur for the girls camp drive. I was so happy he took me there and supported me. I was asked to talk to the girls about the theme they used for the camp. "Sink or Swim"
Here is Paradise 2nd Ward, Logan Utah. They were cute girls and I really enjoyed the evening with them. They made dutch oven potatoes and steaks. They were the best Steaks I have ever had. They served us and eat with us. We visited before I talked and I got to know them before the meeting. It was very fun and I hope I shared with them what Heavenly Father wanted them to hear. I shared some scriptures and stories.
2 comments:
I loved that zigzagging fence! I wondered who had built it. Thanks for sharing the story about your grandpa. Thanks again for the really wonderful lesson and eveing. The girls and myself loved meeting you and Mark. I hope the girls always remember their tools. I can't wear my life jacket without thinking about the commandments :) Thank you Thank you for a really great evening!
I didnt know about any of that. Well maybe a little but for the most part no. thanks for sharing!!
Post a Comment