Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Infinite Power of Hope

I went today to a funeral of my friend and ward member. She was a young mother of two boys. Her husband wasn't a member but she was faithful and came all the time. Something was wrong in her life and she took her life on Saturday night. It is so sad. My heart has been hurting for days about this event. This morning as I was getting ready for work I listened to Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf talk on Hope. It was amazing and I felt some peace. Here are a few things he said that touched my heart.

The Lord has given us a reassuring message of hope: “Fear not, little flock.” God will wait with “open arms to receive” those who give away their sins and continue in faith, hope, and charity.
And to all who suffer—to all who feel discouraged, worried, or lonely—I say with love and deep concern for you, never give in.
Never surrender.
Never allow despair to overcome your spirit.
Embrace and rely upon the Hope of Israel, for the love of the Son of God pierces all darkness, softens all sorrow, and gladdens every heart.
Elder Uchtdorf
November 2008

2 comments:

Hope said...

Oh, that is so sad. I'm sorry to hear that. But I do love Pres. Uchtdorf's words. I love being referred to as a "little flock". To me a denotes a loving nickname, as though the Savior is stroking our hair in a comforting manner the way a mother would a small child.

Josh and Kristen said...

..um...all I can say is... thanks.