Wednesday, September 26, 2012

101 things to do in Uintah Basin

Vernal had a contest this summer to do and see 101 thing in the Basin. I have to say I had a great time doing and seeing some of the places.

#1 dinosaur hunting. You were to go around and take pictures of your family with any and all dinosaurs you could find in the city. There are a lot. Great family night activity, with a ice cream at anyone of our great choices. 
Look at all there are and I only got a few.
 This was one of Mark and I's date nights. He was the driver and the picture taker. He was a good sport!
#2 Family picnic's were a weekly event.
 #3 Home made ice cream. We haven't done that in years. Joleen was here and her and David Mecham went shopping and got all the ingredients for a WONDERFUL berry ice cream. The kids all had a good time turning the handle, YES we did it by hand. I even took a turn.

#4 Petroglyphs
 Now here is something that I am embarrassed to admit to all of Vernaites. I have never been to McConkies Ranch and walked the cliffs to see the Petroglyphs. They were awesome. I do have to admit I only walked a little ways because it was so HOT. I want to go back soon and do it while the leaves are changing. Joleen and her friend Ben & Kaylie France tagged along. Thanks Ben for helping with the garage door. Another story to be told  later.
 # 5 Vernal is full of Historical sites. I went to the DUP museum and am standing in front of the tithing house my 5th great grandfather John Jacob Slaugh built.  #6 Then I went to the UTE Tribe Pow Wow. 1st time there as well. It was fun and very loud, colorful and great fry bread. My friend Rozan went with me.
#7 Wolf Creek Pass. If you haven't done this it is a must see in the Basin. You drive to Tabiona and up through Hanna over the pass into Kamas, Utah. It was fabulous and well worth the detour form Hwy 40. So beautiful. I bet even better this time of year.
We had a great summer seeing and doing many things. Of course we didn't get 101 items but we did a lot that I didn't post about. If you are bored in Vernal call me because I have lots of great idea's

No comments: